- Four Pens - 1 each of Red, Blue, Yellow and Black
- An A2 sheet of clean white paper
- A Ruler (or go freehand if you’re feeling adventurous)
Step One: Draw a vertical line in the middle of the A2 paper, followed by a horizontal line, which meets its partner in the middle, forming a ‘cross’ shape (as shown in the image).
Step Two: With your YELLOW pen, write HOW in the top right-hand square, add NOW to the bottom left-hand square using your BLUE pen, and WOW in RED to the bottom right-hand square. Your diagram should now resemble the ‘How, Now, Wow’ example (as shown in the image).
Step Three: With your team, pull your ideas together and decide where each sits within the available categories:
- BLUE ideas are those which are easy to implement, low risk, highly acceptable and/or done before
- RED ideas are those which are innovative, exciting, breakthrough but can still be implemented
- YELLOW ideas are those for the future, tomorrow’s red ideas, challenges, dreams and/or stimulate thinking and development.
Now you’re ready to begin the work to prioritise, implement and further develop your ideas.